Sunday, May 10, 2009

Getting Ready

So I have never done this before, but a few people asked me to set something up so they can keep track of me this summer.

For those who don't know, this summer I will be working in Bryce Canyon National Park. I am partnering with a ministry called, "A Christian Ministry in the National Parks," while also working a full-time job in the park to support myself financially (visit acmnp.com for more info). In the park I will be working a retail job at the gift shop, making very little money, but will have housing and food provided for me at a minimal cost, along with the opportunity to live in a National Park for the summer. Bryce Canyon is a small park, but has many opportunities for hiking and sightseeing, and is also fairly close to 3 other national parks. It is also at 8000 feet, so I hope that it won't take too long for me to adjust to the alititude. I can't wait to get out there, but will have quite an adventure to get there.

Due to the nature of the ministry, I feel very obligated to have a car while I am there. I will be leaving Lakeland, FL on May 15th or 16th to drive from here to Bryce Canyon, Utah. It is going to be the longest drive of my life, but at least I have three free places to stay and will get to visit with friends in family (my stops include: Nashville, Kansas City, and Denver). Right now I am still at home in Lakeland relaxing and soaking up the beach, fishing, and comfort of home while I still can. If anyone still wants to ride with me and then fly home, feel free to email me.

A little info about the ministry: Our main job in the park is to serve as leaders of interdenominatial Christian services every weekend for visitors camping and staying in the park. My ministry partner Dan and I will be taking turns speaking ( I don't like the word "preaching) every week and will both take part in leading worship musically (which makes me nervous). This is the formal part of the ministry and while I am excited about this, I am much more intrugued by the informal side of minsitry in the park.

We will be living with other employees, most of whom are non-Christians. These people will be our peers and friends while living there. It is simply our privilege to get to know them and be in community with them all summer long. I am looking forward to setting up game nights, barbeques, and hikes with other people living and working in the park with us. I am much more excited about this aspect of the ministry than the formal simply because I feel that transformation in peoples lives comes through God working through the relationships that we build with people rather the preaching that we can deliver on a Sunday morning. I hope and pray that these friendships, whether they see us a Christian's or just friends who love hanging out and going hiking togther, will be friends, will be an impact on my life as much as it is on theirs.

Please pray for me as I travel over the next weekend and go into a place I have never been where I don't know anyone. And for those of you who know me well, know that this scares the crap out of me.

Sorry this post is so long, but figured I would start out this whole blogging thing with a bang. More to come as I drive cross country and begin this adventure that God is allowing me to pursue.


btw, I got into Duke Divinity School!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment