Saturday, May 22, 2010

Camp Don Lee

Well, its been forever since I have posted, but I figured I might get this going again since I am going to be away all summer. I'm not going back to the canyon, but like my blog title and figured I would just go with the flow.

For those of you who don't know I will be at Camp Don Lee in Arapahoe, NC for the summer. It is a United Methodist camp on the coast of North Carolina. Not quite the outer banks, but almost. I am really excited to be at the beach, but even more importantly I'm excited to be at a camp. It will be an interesting experience being at camp, but I don't think I will be able to call it "camp" because that is this wonderful place in Florida that has been a big part of my life and will always be the only "camp" for me.

This is my first official Field Ed. placement through Duke Divinity School and I will be serving at the camp for 10 weeks. My primary personal goal is to build relationships with the counselors and be a sort of chaplain for them. I want to be a person that they feel comfortable coming to when they need guidance, advice, someone to talk to, or just someone to hang out with. I'm really excited to be working with one of my best friends Hannah Terry and we will be living in back to back RV's. I am going to bring chairs and hopefully create some sort of hang out area by our RV's for people to just come and feel welcome to be themselves and relax.

I really don't know exactly what all I will be doing, but will probably be helping finish up curriculum and help out with programming. I will take part in leading morning devotions, worship at night, and with our Christian ed. time during the day. I am also connected with 2 churches that Hannah will mainly focus on and am currently planning on preaching a week from tomorrow to kind of introduce myself to everyone.

I could not have asked for a better placement this summer and am excited to see how God is going to work through me this summer. I am pretty nervous about starting and having to meet tons of people. I really enjoy camp and getting to know college students, but kind of makes me nervous just to have such an influx of people I don't know. It should be fun though. Please keep me in your prayers for the next few weeks. Camp doesn't start officially for a few more weeks. I feel incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to serve here.

More to come. Hopefully I will do a better job than last summer

3 comments:

  1. You rock that RV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett, I've been to Don Lee! Good ol' Arapahoe. I worked at Seafarer one summer, and IV used to rent Don Lee for some retreats. There's a tiny little italian/pizza place in Oriental that is good (enough). And there used to be a DQ somewhere right around there too where we'd all hang out. I mean, if you don't want to go to the Wal-Mart in New Bern on your time off, you gotta find the local spots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, I usually like to hang out at Wal-Mart so that will probably become my spot. Thanks though, my roommate is at Oriental UMC and the asst. director and her husband live there too so I will probably be over there a lot. And from what I have heard, I guess you worked at the fancy camp :)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete